The Vectors Topic Group looks at analysing and comparing the relative performance and impacts of different bio-based vector options to supply energy services. The work is led by Marcelle McManus, supported by Andrew Welfle.
Vectors to be examined include:
- Transport fuels
- Bio-SNG (bio-synthetic natural gas) and biomethane
Analysis will take into consideration:
- Greenhouse gases
- Fossil fuel depletion
- Environmental impacts
- National and regional resilience
- Health and wellbeing
The Vectors research will examine:
- What are the counterfactuals – how else might these services be supplied in the future?
- What characteristics should energy vectors exhibit?
- How could different bioenergy and/or conventional vectors be effectively integrated?
- What effect does the wider context have on the impacts of bioenergy options?
- How do environmental impacts vary with time and location?
- How do the benefits of different case studies (eg biomass gasification, biorefineries, power generation) compare to each other?