Abouelela, A.R., Al Ghatta, A., Verdia, P., Shan Koo, M., Lemus, J., Hallett, J.P., “Evaluating the Role of Water as a Cosolvent and an Antisolvent in [HSO4]-Based Protic Ionic Liquid Pretreatment.” ACS Sustainable Chem. Eng., 9, (2021), 10524-10536
Abouelela, A.R., Hallett, J.P., “Hazardous Creosote Wood Valorization via Fractionation and Enzymatic Saccharification Coupled with Simultaneous Extraction of the Embedded Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons Using Protic Ionic Liquid Media.” ACS Sustainable Chem. Eng., 9, (2021), 704-716.
Abouelela, A.R., Tan, S., Kelsall, G.H., Hallett, J.P., “Toward a Circular Economy: Decontamination and Valorization of Postconsumer Waste Wood Using the ionoSolv Process.” ACS Sustainable Chem. Eng., 8, (2020), 14441-14461.
Baaqel, H., Díaz, I., Tulus, V., Chachuat, B., Guillén-Gosálbez, G., Hallett, J.P., “Role of life-cycle externalities in the valuation of protic ionic liquids–a case study in biomass pretreatment solvents.” Green Chem., 22, (2020), 3132-3140.
Chambon, C.L., Verdia, P., Fennell, P.S., Hallett, J.P., “Process intensification of the ionoSolv pretreatment: effects of biomass loading, particle size and scale-up from 10 mL to 1 L.” Sci. Rep.-UK, 11, (2021), 15383.
Chambon, C.L., Fitriyanti, V., Verdia, P., Yang, S.M., Herou, S., Titrici, M.-M., Brandt-Talbot, A., Fennell, P.S., Hallett, J.P., “Fractionation by sequential anti-solvent precipitation of grass, softwood and hardwood lignins isolated using low-cost ionic liquids and water.” ACS Sustainable Chem. Eng., 8, (2020), 3751-3761
Chen, M., Malaret, F., Firth, A.E.J., Verdía, P., Abouelela, A.R., Chen, Y., Hallett, J.P., “Design of a combined ionosolv-organosolv biomass fractionation process for biofuel production and high value-added lignin valorisation.” Green Chem., 22, (2020), 5161-5178.
Cooper, S., Lowe, B., Minter, T., & McManus, M. (2021), GHG assessment of Bore Hill Farm Biodigester
Cooper SJG, Green R, Hattam L, Röder M, Welfle A, McManus M, “Exploring temporal aspects of climate-change effects due to bioenergy”, Biomass and Bioenergy 142, 105778 (Oct 2020)
Corton J, Donnison I, Ross A, Lea-Langton A, Wachendorf M, Fraser M. Product yields and characterisation following hydrothermal conversion of conservation biomass. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 110462. 2020.
C.W.J. Murnaghan, N. Skillen, C. Hardacre , J. Bruce , G. N Sheldrake, P.K.J Robertson, J., Exploring lignin valorisation: the application of photocatalysis for the degradation of the β-5 linkage, Phys. Energy 3 (2021) 035002
De Vega J, Peel N, Purdy SJ, Hawkins S, Donnison I, Dyer S, Farrar K. Differential expression of starch and sucrose metabolic genes linked to varying biomass yield in Miscanthus hybrids. Biotechnology for Biofuels 14: 98. 2021.
De Vega J, Donnison I, Dyer S and Farrar K. Draft genome assembly of the biofuel grass crop Miscanthus sacchariflorus. F1000Research 10: 29. 2021
Element Energy, A report for Zemo Partnership, (2021), Low Carbon Hydrogen Well-to-Tank Pathways Study
Firth, A.E.J., Mac Dowell, N., Fennell, P.S., Hallett, J.P., “Assessing the economic viability of wetland remediation of wastewater, and the potential for parallel biomass valorisation.” Environ. Sci.: Water Res. Technol., 6, (2020), 2103-2121.
Jensen E, Shafiei R, Ma X-F, Serba DD, Smith DP, Slavov GT, Robson P, Farrar K, Thomas-Jones S, Swaller T, Flavell R, Clifton-Brown J, Saha MC, Donnison I. Linkage mapping evidence for a syntenic QTL associated with flowering time in perennial C4 rhizomatous grasses Miscanthus and switchgrass. GCB Bioenergy 13: 98-111. 2021.
Joule A Bergerson, Adam Brandt, Joe Cresko, Michael Carbajales‐Dale, Heather L MacLean, H Scott Matthews, Sean McCoy, Marcelle McManus, Shelie A Miller, William R Morrow, I Daniel Posen, Thomas Seager, Timothy Skone, Sylvia Sleep (2020) Life cycle assessment of emerging technologies: Evaluation techniques at different stages of market and technical maturity. Journal of Industrial Ecology 24 (1), 11-25
Gomez-Marín N and Bridgwater AV (2020) Mapping bioenergy stakeholders: A systematic and scientometric review of capabilities and expertise in bioenergy research in the United Kingdom . Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2020.110496 March 2021
Gschwend, F.J.V., Hallett, J.P., Brandt-Talbot, A., “Exploring the Effect of Water Content and Anion on the Pretreatment of Poplar with Three 1-Ethyl-3-methylimidazolium Ionic Liquids.” Molecules, 25, 2318.
Gschwend, F.J.V., Hennequin, L.M., Brandt-Talbot, A., Bedoya-Lora, F., Kelsall, G.H., Polizzi, K., Fennell, P.S., Hallett, J.P., “Towards an environmentally and economically sustainable biorefinery: heavy metal contaminated waste wood as a low-cost feedstock in a low-cost ionic liquid process.” Green Chem., 22, (2020), 5032-5041.
Hurst, G.; González-Carballo, J.M.; Tosheva, L.; Tedesco, S. Synergistic Catalytic Effect of Sulphated Zirconia—HCl System for Levulinic Acid and Solid Residue Production Using Microwave Irradiation. Energies 2021, 14, 1582. https://doi.org/10.3390/en14061582
L. Lan, H. Daly, Y. Jiao, Y. Yan, C. Hardacre, X. Fan. Comparative study of the effect of TiO2support composition and Pt loading on the performance of Pt/TiO2photocatalysts for catalytic photoreforming of cellulose, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, vol 46, iss 60, 31054, 2021
Malaret, F., Gschwend, F.J.V., Lopes, J.M., Tu, W.-C., Hallett, J.P., “Eucalyptus red grandis pretreatment with protic ionic liquids: effect of severity and influence of sub/super-critical CO2 atmosphere on pretreatment performance.” RSC Adv., 10, (2020), 16050-16060.
Malinowska M, Donnison I, Robson P. Morphological and Physiological Traits that Explain Yield Response to Drought Stress in Miscanthus. Agronomy 10: 1194. 2020.
Manhongo, T. T., Chimphango, A., Thornley, P. & Röder, M. An economic viability and environmental impact assessment of mango processing waste-based biorefineries for co-producing bioenergy and bioactive compounds. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 148, 111216,(2021).
Mitros T, Session A, James B, Wu G, Belaffif M, Clark L, Shu S, Dong H, De Vega J, Barling A, Holmes J, Mattick J, Bredeson J, Liu S, Głowacka K, Jeżowski S, Barry K, Chae WB, Gifford J, Oladeinde A, Yamada T, Grimwood J, Putnam N, Barth S, Juvik J, Klaas M, Hodkinson T, Li L, Jin X, Peng J, Yu C, Heo K, Yoo JH, Ghimire B, Farrar K, Donnison I, Schmutz J, Sacks E, Hudson M, Moose S, Swaminathan K, Rokhsar D. Genome biology of the paleotetraploid perennial biomass crop Miscanthus. Nature Communications 11: 5442. 2020.
Nogueira, G.P., McManus, M.C., Leak, D.J., Franco, T.T., de Souza Dias, M.O., et al. (2021) Journal of Cleaner Production 299, 126956 Are eucalyptus harvest residues a truly burden-free biomass source for bioenergy? A deeper look into biorefinery process design and Life Cycle Assessment.
Razaq, I.; Simons, K.E.; Onwudili, J.A. Parametric Study of Pt/C-Catalysed Hydrothermal Decarboxylation of Butyric Acid as a Potential Route for Biopropane Production. Energies 2021, 14, 3316. https://doi.org/10.3390/en14113316
Röder, M., Mohr, A. & Liu, Y. Sustainable bioenergy solutions to enable development in low- and middle-income countries beyond technology and energy access. Biomass and Bioenergy 143, 105876, doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biombioe.2020.105876 (2020).
Uttam K. Roy, Tanja Radu, Jonathan L. Wagner, Carbon-negative biomethane fuel production: Integrating anaerobic digestion with algae-assisted biogas purification and hydrothermal carbonisation of digestate, Biomass and Bioenergy, Volume 148, 2021, 106029, ISSN 0961-9534, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biombioe.2021.106029. (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0961953421000660)
Soil carbon stock impacts following reversion of Miscanthus × giganteus and short rotation coppice willow commercial plantations into arable cropping
Environmental trade-offs associated with bioenergy from agri-residues in sub-tropical regions: A case study of the Colombian coffee sector
(Stop) burning for biogas. Enabling positive sustainability trade-offs with business models for biogas from rice straw
A review of the role of bioenergy modelling in renewable energy research and policy development
- Adams, P.W.R., McManus, M.C (2014) Small-scale biomass gasification CHP utilisation in industry: Energy and environmental evaluation. Sustainable Energy Technologies and Assessments 6, pp. 129-140
- Adams, P.W.R. Shirley, J.E.J.& McManus, M.C. (2015) Comparative cradle-to-gate life cycle assessment of wood pellet production with torrefaction Applied Energy Volume 138, 15 January 2015, Pages 367–380
- Adams, P. W. R., Lindegaard, K. (2015). A critical appraisal of the effectiveness of UK perennial energy crops policy since 1999
- Adams, P. W. R., Mezzullo, W.G. and McManus, M. C., (2015). Biomass sustainability criteria: Greenhouse gas accounting issues for biogas and biomethane facilities. Energy Policy, 87, 95-109.
- Al-Qayim, K., Nimmo, W., & Pourkashanian, M. (2015). Comparative Techno-economic assessment of biomass and coal with CCS technologies in a pulverised combustion power plant in the United Kingdom. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control
- Banks SW, Nowakowski DJ, Bridgwater AV (2015). Fast pyrolysis processing of surfactant washed biomass. Fuel Processing Technology. 128 94-103
- Baxter, X.C, Darvell, L.I, Jones, J.M, Barraclough, T., Yates, N.E and Shield I. (2014) Miscanthus combustion properties and variations with Miscanthus agronomy. Fuel. 117, 851- 869
- Bennett J (2014) Heterogeneous catalysis for sustainable biodiesel production via esterification and transesterification”, Chemical Society Reviews, 2014
- Bennett J (2015) Catalytic upgrading of bio‐oils by esterification”, Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology, 2015
- Castellanos, J. G., Walker, M., Poggio, D., Pourkashanian, M., & Nimmo, W. (2015). Modelling an off-grid integrated renewable energy system for rural electrification in India using photovoltaics and anaerobic digestion. Renewable Energy, 74, 390-398.
- Elliott, D.C, Oasmaa, A., Preto F, Meier D, Bridgwater, A.V (2013) Results of the IEA Round Robin on Viscosity and Aging of Fast Pyrolysis Bio-oils: Long-Term Tests and Repeatability in Energy and Fuels
- Fei, Y. S. Black, J. Szuhánszki, L. Ma, D.B. Ingham, P.J. Stanger, M. Pourkashanian. 2015. Evaluation of the potential of retrofitting a coal power plant to oxy-firing using CFD and process co-simulation. Fuel Processing Technology (131) 45–58.
- Fischer, M. and Jiang, X. (2015) An investigation of the chemical kinetics of biogas combustion. Fuel 150: 711-720
- Gilbert, P., Alexander, S., Thornley, P., Brammer, J.(2014) “Assessing economically viable carbon reductions for the production of ammonia from biomass gasification”, Journal of Cleaner Production
- Gómez-Marín, N., Bridgwater, AV. Mapping bioenergy stakeholders: A systematic and scientometric review of capabilities and expertise in bioenergy research in the United Kingdom, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Volume 137, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2020.110496.
- Greenhalf, C., Nowakowski, D.J., Yates, N.E., Titiloye, J., Bridgwater, A.V. and Shield IF. (2013) The influence of harvest and storage on the properties of and fast pyrolysis products from Miscanthus x giganteus. Biomass and Bioenergy, 56, 247-259
- Gudka, Bijal, Jenny M. Jones, Amanda R. Lea-Langton, Alan Williams, and Abby Saddawi (2015) A review of the mitigation of deposition and emission problems during biomass combustion through washing pre-treatment., Journal of The Energy Institute
- Horschig T, Adams PWR, Röder M, Thornley P, Thrän D. Reasonable potential for GHG savings by anaerobic biomethane in Germany and UK derived from economic and ecological analyses. Applied Energy 2016. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2016.07.098
- Jiang, Ying, Abiba Ameh, Mei Lei, Lunbo Duan, Philip Longhurst (2015) Solid–gaseous phase transformation of elemental contaminants during the gasification of biomass
- Jiang, Ying, Mei Lei, Lunbo Duan, Philip Longhurst (2015) Integrating phytoremediation with biomass valorisation and critical element recovery: A UK contaminated land perspective
- Lea-Langton, A., Baeza-Romero, M.T., Boman, G.V., Brooks, B. Wilson, A.J.M., Atika, F., Bartle, K.D., Jones, J.M, Williams, A. (2014) A Study of Smoke Formation from Wood Combustion. Fuel Processing Technology Volume 137, September 2015, Pages 327–332
- Levidow, L., and Upham, P. (2017) Socio-technical change linking expectations and representations: Innovating thermal treatment of municipal solid waste (MSW), Science and Public Policy 44(2): 211-224, http://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/105465/1/Levidow%20Upham%20SPP%20gasification.pdf
- Levidow, L., and Upham, P. (2017) Linking the multi-level perspective with social representations theory: MSW gasifiers as a niche innovation reinforcing the energy-from-waste (EfW) regime, Technology Forecasting and Social Change 120: 1-13, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2017.03.028, http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0040162517303906
- Lesur, C., Jeuffroy, M.H, Makowski, D., Riche, A.B, Shield, I., Yates, N., Fritz, M., Formowitz, B., Grunert, M., Jorgensen, U., Laerke, P.E and Loyce, C. (2013) Modelling long-term yield trends of Miscanthus × giganteus using experimental data from across Europe. Field Crops Research. Volume 149, Pages 252–260
- McManus, M.C & Taylor, C.M. (2014) The Changing Nature of LCA. Biomass and Bioenergy
- McManus, M.C., Caroline M. Taylor, Alison Mohr, Carly Whittaker, Corinne D. Scown, Aiduan Li Borrion, Neryssa J. Glithero, and Yao Yin. (2015) “Challenge clusters facing LCA in environmental decision-making—what we can learn from biofuels.” The International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment 20, no. 10: 1399-1414.
- McNamee, P., Darvell, L. , Jones, J. and Williams, W. (2014) The combustion characteristics of high-heating-rate-chars from raw and torrefied biomass fuels. Biomass & Bioenergy.
- Meier D, van de Beld B, Bridgwater AV, Elliott DC, Oasmaa A, Preto F. (2013). State-of-the-art of fast pyrolysis in IEA Bioenergy member countries. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews Volume 20, April 2013, Pages 619–641
- Mitchell, E.J.S., A.R. Lea-Langton, J.M. Jones, A. Williams, P. Layden and R. Johnson. (2015) The Impact of Fuel Properties on the Emissions from the Combustion of Biomass and other Solid Fuels in a Fixed Bed Domestic Stove. Submitted to Fuel Processing Technology.
- Murozuka, E., Laursen, K.H, Lindedam, J., Shield, I.F, Bruun, S., Magid, J., Møller, I.S & Schjoerring, J.K. (2014) Nitrogen fertilization affects silicon concentration, cell wall composition and biofuel potential of wheat straw. Biomass and Bioenergy 64 291-298
- Nguyen V.H., Topno, S., Balingbing, C., Nguyen V.C.N., Röder, M., Quilty, J., Jamieson, C., Thornley, P., Gummert, M. (2015) Energy Balance Analysis of Rice Straw for Anaerobic Digestion, Energy for sustainable development, under review
- Patel, M.A, Baldanza, M.A.S, Teixeira da Silva V and Bridgwater AV (2013). In-situ catalytic upgrading of bio-oil using molybdenum carbide catalyst. Applied Catalysis A: General 458 48-54
- Purdy, S.J., Cunniff, J., Maddison, A.L., Jones, L.E., Barraclough, T., Castle, M., Davey, C.L., Jones, C.M, Shield, I., Gallagher J, Donnison I & Clifton-Brown J. (2014) Seasonal Carbohydrate Dynamics and Climatic Regulation of Senescence in the Perennial Grass, Miscanthus. Bioenergy Research. DOI 10.1007/s12155-014-9500-2
- Purkus, A., Röder, M., Gawel, E., Thornley, P., (2014) Handling Uncertainty in Bioenergy Policy Design – A Comparative Case Study Analysis of the UK and Germany. Journal of Biomass and Bioenergy. 2014
- Röder M., Thornley P (2015) Bioenergy as Climate Change Mitigation Option within a 2C Target – Uncertainties and Temporal Challenges of Bioenergy Systems. Energy, Sustainability and Society, “Thematic Series “The broader view – systems analysis for sustainable bioenergy”, 2015, under review
- Röder, M., Thornley, P., (2014) How certain are greenhouse gas reductions from bioenergy? Life cycle assessment and uncertainty analysis of a forest residues-to-electricity supply chain. Journal of Biomass and Bioenergy. 2014
- Röder M. More than food or fuel. Stakeholder perceptions of anaerobic digestion and land use; a case study from the United Kingdom. Energy Policy 2016; 97:73-81. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2016.07.003
- Shield, I.F, Barraclough TJP, Riche AB & Yates NE. (2014) The yield and quality response of the energy grass Miscanthus x giganteus to fertiliser applications of nitrogen, potassium and sulphur, when grown on a sandy soil. Biomass and Bioenergy , 68, 184-19
- Shemfe, Mobolaji B.Carly Whittaker, Sai Gu, Beatriz Fidalgo, Comparative evaluation of GHG emissions from the use of Miscanthus for bio-hydrocarbon production via fast pyrolysis and bio-oil upgrading, Applied Energy, Volume 176, 15 August 2016, Pages 22-33, ISSN 0306-2619,
- Thornley, P., Gilbert, P. (2013) “Biofuels: Balancing Risks and Rewards”, Interface Focus
- Thornley P, Chong K, Bridgwater AV. (2014) European biorefineries: implications for land, trade and employment. Environmental Science and Policy. 37. 255-265
- Thornley P, Gilbert P, Shackley S, Hammond J, (2015) Maximizing the greenhouse gas reductions from biomass: the role of life cycle assessment, Biomass and Bioenergy, vol 81, pp 35-43
- Welfle, A., Gilbert, P., Thornley, P., Stephenson, A (2017): Generating Low-Carbon Heat from Biomass: Life Cycle Assessment of Bioenergy Scenarios (a 2 page summary can be found here: Generating low-carbon heat from biomass
- Welfe, A., Gilbert, P., Thornley, P., (2014) Increasing biomass resource availability through supply chain analysis, Biomass and Bioenergy,
- Welfle, A., Gilbert, P., Thornley, P. (2014) “Securing a bioenergy future without imports”, Energy Policy, 2014
- Whittaker, C, Yates, NE, Powers, SJ, Misselbrook, T and Shield, I. (2015) Dry matter losses and greenhouse gas emissions from outside storage of short rotation coppice willow chip. Bio-energy Research. In Press.
- Whittaker, C., Macalpine, W., Yates, N, E. & Shield, I. (2015) Dry matter losses and methane emissions during wood chip storage: The impact on full life cycle greenhouse gas savings of short rotation coppice for heat. Bioenergy Research. In Review
- Whittaker,C, Borrion, A.L, Newnes, L and McManus, M (2014) The renewable energy directive and cereal residues. Applied Energy. Volume 122, Pages 207–215
- Whittaker, C., Yates, N., Powers, S.J., Misslebrook, T and Shield, I. (2015) Dry Matter Losses and Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Outside Storage of Short Rotation Coppice Willow Chip Bioenergy Research
- Whittaker, Carly, John Hunt, Tom Misselbrook, Ian Shield, How well does Miscanthus ensile for use in an anaerobic digestion plant?, Biomass and Bioenergy, Volume 88, May 2016, Pages 24-34, ISSN 0961-9534,
- Zhang, G., Ni, C., Huang, X., Welgamage, A., Lawton, L. A., Robertson P. K. J., Irvine, J.T.S (2015)., Simultaneous cellulose conversion and hydrogen production from pure water driven by solar photocatalysis, Energy & Environmental Science (SUBMITTED).